Monday, June 30, 2008

Now that's dedication

I used to think I was a patient golf fan.

But then I met Steve Attwater of Rochester Hills.
It was 7 a.m. June 26, and there he sat in his folding chair next to the 18th green at Warwick Hills during the opening round of the Buick Open.

As the opening groups teed off on No. 1 and No. 10, Attwater literally sat by himself, knowing full well it would be at least another two hours before he would see his first golfer make his way up the fairway. Still, Attwater sat. And sat. And sat.

I thought it was a big deal when my friends and I took our annual spot behind the No. 2 tee box and let the golfers come to us. We would sit in the same spot for around six hours before dragging our sun-burned bodies away.
But Attwater claims his territory and stays there — not only each day, but pretty much each hour of each championship round of the tournament.

"I just do it, that way I can watch everyone come up the 18th green. From Thursday through Sunday, this is where I sit," he said, adding that he plans his vacations around the tournament.

I wasn't there on Sunday, but I'd bet Attwater was. And when Woody Austin and Bubba Watson missed their putts on the final hole and Tour veteran Kenny Perry happily raised the trophy and waived to the fans, he had the well-deserved best seat in the house.

No comments: