Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Now that's early

Last week, I met with Rochester High senior wrestler Nick Kaczanowski and coach Frank Lafferty after school to do a story on Nick’s amazing season.

He was 22-0 at the time, had already won the Oakland County Tournament and has a great chance of winning the state title 160 pounds. Last season, he finished second in the state at 152.

On top of that, Rochester was 4-0 in the Oakland Activities Association Red Division.

But those amazing statistics weren’t what stuck out to me. It was the mere mention by Lafferty that the whole team had already practiced that day — at 5 a.m.

When he saw the stunned look on my face, he repeated it "5 a.m."

By all accounts, that’s early.

Now, I know teams all across the state, from gymnastics to swimming, utilize the mornings for practice. Heck, the wrestling team probably wasn't the only Rochester squad there on that frigid morning putting in extra time.

But for me, I’m not even certain 5 a.m. exists.

Yet that morning, the Falcons rolled out of their beds way before many of their classmates and went to school.

They didn’t open their books. Instead, they shot, sprawled and pinned each other.
Their unwavering dedication is probably one of the reasons the Falcons have a potential state champion and are making a run at the Red title.

It’s just not my idea of breakfast.

No comments: