Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm Sue DePassio, one of the newest additions to the C & G Newspapers sports family. I'll be covering OAA D-I and D-IV soccer this fall, as well as MAC Blue and White volleyball.

When I'm not covering the preps, I'm out at community events. Recently, I had the chance to cover something very special. On Aug. 22, I went to the groundbreaking of a new baseball field for kids with special needs, which was generously donated to a Little League division in Clinton Township by the Detroit Tigers Foundation and other local contributors, including Detroit Tigers first baseman Sean Casey.

There's a reason why they call Casey "The Mayor," and I got the chance to experience his care and concern for others firsthand. There wasn't one autograph he turned down or one photograph he wouldn't take. Perhaps it was Casey's experience in working with special needs kids for nearly 10 years that made him the perfect champion for this organization. His efforts as a humanitarian were inspirational to all present. Casey is now officially "My Tiger."

You can catch me next week covering prep sports, so check back for an update.

No comments: